Tuesday 4 May 2010

As long as […], we will stay friends


I came across a Norwegian translation of a quote from Marion C. Garretty about how communication will guarantee that we will stay friends and have joys and worries to share. When I first read it I knew I wanted to make a poster out of it. Until this point I had only printed in English, and felt the need of using my birth language Norwegian. The quote says; “Så lenge posten kommer fram og telefonen fungerer, så har vi noe å fortelle, gleder og bekymringer å dele, vil vi være venner. Bestandig”, (translated it means: as long as the mail reaches you and the phone works, will vi have something to tell, joys and worries to share, will we be friends. Forever). In Norwegian there is there extra letters from the English alphabet; æ, ø and å. Æ is an old English letter not used anymore so it is possible to find, but ø og å is impossible to find in England at least so I decided to use the old way of writing the letters ø=oe, å=aa.

I wanted the format to be tight and narrow, but could be slightly long. The idea was to highlight a few words in the quote and use a mixture of wood and metal type. The final piece is not just one poster in one colour, I had a lot of fun printing this is a single colour, two colour (different ones also), and with a mixture of several colours that I had to ink by hand.

6 comments:

  1. Wellwell, look who got blogging. I like the one with the split. =)

    Did you end up buying that type you had called about last week? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna try at least ;) Have to start letting people know about what I'm doing! Thanks :D

    Yeah, actually I did :D:D Very happy, BUT I do need a place to store it, and help to go and pick it up :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you be able to ship it back to Norway along with Aleksander's pile of swords and armor (those are a couple of words that are rarely used these days in day-to-day conversation)? How much did you end up paying for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No :( Thats really bad, so I now need to find a place to store it. Are talking to Bill at uni, but will see if it works out. Haven't paid for it yet, but he said he took my offer so I guess around £30 :P since I was going to use it, he wanted me to have it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30? Now that sounds fantastic =p Just start asking people to come over to London and visit, and then pay for their second suitcase with 20kg of letterpress type when they go back home, should work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahah :P yeah that would be funny! we'll see, I'm gonna try and keep it here for some time! ;)

    ReplyDelete